How to Start Cosmetic Manufacturing in India – Did you know the demand for the cosmetics industry grow very quickly. If you are looking for the procedure or key points to start cosmetic manufacturing unit in India then we can help you. In this blog, we are going to discuss how to start cosmetic manufacturing in India. The cosmetic industry is one of the biggest industries concerning sales and turnover. If you are going to start a cosmetic manufacturing company then this industry makes you more benefit.
What is cosmetics?
Today, cosmetics products are the most important element in the human lifestyle. According to drug and cosmetic, cosmetics means any article dedicated to being rubbed, poured, sprinkled or sprayed on, or introduced into, or otherwise utilized to, the human body or any part thereof for cleansing, beautifying, increasing attractiveness, or modifying the appearance, and includes an article meant for use as a segment.
Cosmetic products are classified under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act 1940 and Rules 1945. Bureau of Indian Standards fixed the standards for the cosmetics products registered Schedule ‘S’ under rule 1945. Also, BSI implements the specification for Skin Creams and Lipstick in the Indian Standards (IS) 6608:2004 and 9875:1990 sequentially. The Schedule ‘M’ occupied the regulation associated with manufacturing cosmetic products under Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
Types of Cosmetics Products:
Today, there are thousands upon thousands of cosmetics products in the Indian market. The cosmetic can be divided into several distinct types. Here they are:
- Powders – Most common and easily use a form of makeup.
- Gels – shampoos, body washes, shaving products, and toothpaste.
- Suspensions – Sunscreen, shampoos, and hand washes
- Sticks – lipsticks and underarm deodorant
- Ointments/ Pastes – This product helps to protect or heal skin and hair
- Lotions – skin moisturizers and sunscreens.
- Lips – Lipsticks, lip gloss, lip liner, lip plumper, and lip balm.
- Capsules/ Tablets/ cakes – That’s helps you remove acne.
- Primers/foundations/concealers – That helps to mask irregularities of the skin, such as pore, discoloration, pigment spots, and blemishes.
- Eyes – Mascara, mascara primer, eye shadows, eye primers, and eyelash glue.
- Eyebrows – Eyebrow pencils, creams, and powders.
- Nails – Nail polish, nail gloss
- Face – face powders, foundations, primers, concealers, and blush powder.
Step to set up own manufacturing unit:
We have summed up the procedure for you to follow:
- Prepare a Best Business Plan
- Choose a Creative Name for Cosmetic Company
- Visit to Drug Control office for Submitting form
- Finalize an establishment for manufacturing according to guidelines and location which are not connected or interconnect to the residence.
- Incorporation of firm
- Establish the setup premises as per requirement of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
- Set the Equipment and Machinery for labs
- Take No Objection Certification (NOC)
- Submit file to license authority
- If file approved then license will issue you for manufacturing
- Apply for GST Network
Before you hit the ground first, you need to do some research and diligence on starting a cosmetics company. This process is very crucial for your success of the company. Before starting manufacturing you must clear vision for what you want and what you have such as your brand, values, target audience, reach, what products you intending to manufacture. Here took a look at some key point to start cosmetic manufacturing.
Locations and Surroundings: The drug and cosmetic committee always discuss the location and surroundings that are needed for the manufacturing of cosmetics. Your manufacturing unit and factory should be established in a sanitary place and clean place. You must follow all protocols of hygienic conditions in premises and outside premises. Also, your unit is not connected to the residence or be interconnected with the residence or your manufacturing plant should be organized to facilitate an easy authoring environment under hygienic conditions.
Technical Staff: You must need a well knowledgeable team for managing handle all activities of manufacturing and quality control. Qualification for a technical person for manufacturing and quality analytical is a complete diploma in pharmacy. They should have certification of high school exam with chemistry subject.
How can you sell your cosmetic products:
- Third-party manufacturing
- Contract Manufacturing
- Loan license manufacturing
- Own marketing and Distribution Channel
Types of Equipment and Machinery:
- A suitable mixer.
- Storage tanks.
- Filling machine – hand-operated or power-driven.
- Weighing and Measuring Devices.
Manufacturing License Procedure:
The manufacturing license for cosmetic products is published by State Drug Control Office which is usually situated in the state capital. You need to fulfill all requirements and document submission to the state drug control office for the grant of license to manufacture cosmetic products. You can submit this form online and offline that depends on state policy. After receiving your application the team of state drug control will investigate your manufacturing unit for justifying the details fitted with the application form. If the team is satisfied with your all requirement then they issued a manufacturing license.
The document require for license procedure:
- Application at Prescribed Form
- Fees Slip/Challan
- Blueprint and layout of manufacturing unit
- Ownership proof / If premise is on rent then copy of rent agreement
- Nature of business along with rent agreement
- Detail of technical or competent Staff
- List of machinery and laboratory equipments
- Site Master File
- NOC certificate of ruling municipality for set up unit
It is clear that the cosmetic industry will always be one of the most profitable to starts its own business. May all key points are helpful for you to starts your own manufacturing unit. If you have any quires regarding the blog then feel free to contact us to fill the contact form from our official website.